The following is the State policy on black and white license plates. The policy was obtained from the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles.
A. The following authentic or reproduction black and white porcelain
plates are authorized:
1. Passenger car tags not exceeding 86,999. These plates will have
a diamond (*) separator if there are more than 3 numbers on the plate. The diamond separator will always be between the 3rd and 4th number from the right of the plate. Numbers must be 3 inches in height.
Examples: 3*342 33*342
2. Commercial (C) license plates up to 4 digits. The letters and
numbers must be 3 inches in height. Commercial tags with a small “c” are not authorized.
3. Dealer (D) license plates up to 4 digits. The letters and numbers
must be 3 inches in height. Dealer tags with a small “d” are not authorized.
4. Motorcycle license plates up to 4 digits. Five types of plates
were issued and any of the five are acceptable.
5. Ham operator license plates. The plate letters are 1 5/8 inches in height.
B. The following plates with a black background, stainless steel numbers
and word “Delaware” embossed on the plate is authorized: passenger car plates up to 200,000.
C. The following plates with a black background, numbers covered with
white reflective sheeting and the word “Delaware” embossed are authorized:
1. Passenger car plates up to 200,000
2. P/C plates up to 4 digits. Example: PC4690
D. The following plates are not authorized in black and white porcelain or
1. Vanity plates
2. Any specialty plate, i.e. POW, DAV, Organizational, National
Guard, Fire Department, etc.
3. CL plate
4. Moped plates
5. RV plates
6. “PC” plate in porcelain
7. Any other plates issued by Division not covered under